Hello & Welcome

I love colour and I love glass and wire put them together with a little fire and my passion is here to see!



Thursday, 6 May 2010

Basic Jewellery Making Techniques ~~ Part 1 - The Turned Loop

Here is the first of my Basic Techniques Tutorials ~~

Turning a loop

1. On a headpin place beads on in your desired pattern/design.



2. Trim headpin down to 1cm (¼") above the last bead

3. Take the round nosed pliers grasp the end of the headpin between the blades at the very tip

Tip: Ensure the tip of the pin does not protrude above the blades of the pliers.

NB: You should not be able to feel the pin if you run your finger across the top of the blades.. 

4. Turn the pin around the blade to form the loop, until you can’t go any further

 

 Tip: Use your other thumb to help guide the wire around the blade

NB: I find it easier to turn the pliers away from you, you can twist your wrist further that way!



5. Reposition your blades to continue with the loop until it closes,


                            

this should resemble a ‘p’ or ‘q’ shape


                 

6. To finish the loop, place blade of pliers into the back of the loop



Bend back the wire to centralise the loop above the bead


7. You may need to ‘tweak’ the loop as the bending can cause the loop to open a little, to close it up, just place your blades into the front of the loop again and just pull around to remove the gap, making sure you have fully inserted the blade into the loop, otherwise the loop can distort.


Tip:  You could also use flat nosed pliers and very gently squeeze the loop shut



A Turned Loop


~~~~~~~~~~~


An Alternative Method of A Turned Loop

1. Place beads onto a headpin; bend the pin at 90° angle just above the beads




2. Trim headpin to 1cm (¼"). Grasp pin with round nosed pliers at the very tip




3. Bend the pin around the blade to form the loop in the opposite direction to the bend, making sure that the pin end is straight with the bend 

                  

Tip: Use your other thumb to help guide the wire round the blade as before.



NB: If the end of wire sits too high above the bead, then you can trim the wire and carry the loop round to close it once again, this shortens the wire so bringing it down lower, nearer to the bead.

 
 
This technique is one of 'the' most used in jewellery making ~~ for earrings, linked necklaces or bracelets and for bead charm dangles. So you will be able to use it for many different items of jewellery.
 
 
Earrings - Loops and charm dangles connected by jump rings



Bracelet - Linked by twisted jump rings



Necklace Set -  Beads linked together then connected to chain.


In these examples there are a number of jump rings which I have used to connect loops together, so coming in Part 2 my next tutorial will be on How To Open and Close Jump Rings correctly.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me!




4 comments:

  1. I have never made any jewelry, but I would love to and have some basic tools. Your tutorials are great! Makes me think I could actually make something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorials! Such a fab way to share you knowledge :) well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Maggie, I am sure you would do great, would you like me to post about tools and what they would be used for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel, lovely to see you pop in too. More Tutorials to come, I have a little list of ones I want to cover along with my design tips series as well. I also think my mojo has returned so want to get making beads again!! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving your comments, I love to hear from you, please pop back again soon.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.